Friday, June 18, 2010

Case Dismissed?

In a rather bizarre twist to my own pending case in the Gloucester, Virginia Circuit Court, June 15, I found out that my husband, the one I was in the process of divorcing, had passed away on June 9,  and his family had him buried on June 12.  I was never informed.  Rather, his family member called his attorney, notified him of my husband's death, and requested nobody tell me until I was in court, June 18, in front of the judge, expecting to proceed with the pre e.d hearing, and showing cause as to why I had not fully complied with the Pendente Lite order.

I was stunned to hear the news on several levels.  I was, however, grateful to the person in his attorney's office who decided it was appropriate, regardless of the request of the family member, to at least let my attorney know of the Defendant's passing.  Still, yesterday afternoon, at 3:00PM when I visited the Clerk of the Court, there was no notice given to me that I need not appear in court tomorrow.  When I asked, the woman behind the window, took my file, armed with the information I provided that my husband had passed away, and went down the hall to consult with the Judge's "right hand woman."  When she returned she affirmed I would not need to appear in court, the matter had been dismissed.

And so, as the next few weeks unfold, I will see another side of the Gloucester, Virginia Court.  My own case suddenly no longer a case, I am free to watch and learn, investigate and write about what I see...


2 comments: